[clue-tech] DSL providers

William wwcluetech1 at kimballstuff.com
Fri Feb 16 00:39:57 MST 2007

Hex Star wrote:
> I find it funny how people constantly point out that neighbors share
> the same pipe, while the same is true for any other broadband
> connection except instead of it being shared at the neighborhood area,
> you're sharing the data center connection...so no matter what there's
> still a bottleneck...
This very topic is the basis for many debates.  In the hopes of avoiding
a religious fight while helping you understand why this is "constantly"
pointed out, I'll explain in the easiest way I can (taking liberties to
avoid as much complexity as possible, and being verbose in the hope that
I can head-off any anticipated questions).  For reference, I will be
expanding the examples set forth in [Computer Networking, A Top-Down
Approach Featuring the Internet; 3rd Edition; pages 26-28].  To brief
the point, HFC/Cable lines are clearly defined as being "shared" while
DSL lines are clearly defined as being "dedicated".  I'll illustrate
why, after some definitions that will be used to draw an analogy between
Cable and DSL.

I don't know whether you already understand the fundamental difference
between a "network hub" and a "network switch", so I'll give a
rudimentary contrast.  Please jump ahead if you're already clear on the
distinction.  First, both a hub and a switch are (generally speaking)
repeaters that enable several network devices to communicate with one
another by repeating packets received on one line to one or more other
lines.  They handle the repeating task differently, however:

* A hub repeats every packet it receives onto every connected line,
verbatim.  Consequently, every network device that is connected to the
hub must receive every single packet that is sent to/through the hub.
Each network device simply disregards packets not destined for
themselves.  Note that there is a time cost when disregarding undesired
packets.  Because of this mass-broadcasting-like behavior, it is very
easy to snoop network traffic at a hub.

* A switch however, repeats each packet only to the specific destination
line.  Each network device connected to the switch receives only those
packets that are sent to that specific device.  Consequently, network
traffic is far more efficient on networks using switches than those
using hubs.  While possible for certain types of traffic, snooping
network traffic at a switch is not nearly as easy as snooping at a hub.

Given these definitions, I'll draw the relevant analogy to Cable and DSL
(very loosely speaking -- this is an analogy).

* A Cable user is (effectively) connected via a hub that is shared with
all their neighbors.  When using Cable at home, all of your neighbors
can snoop your traffic because every packet that you send and receive is
bounced off all of your neighbors.  The obvious consequence of this is
that every "active" user is sending traffic to your home (doubly so when
you consider that their output packets are hitting you *and* their input
packets are hitting you), reducing your bandwidth capacity for as long
as they are active.  This is why the cable line is considered "shared".

* A DSL user is (effectively) connected via a switch that is discrete to
the line provider.  When using DSL at home, your neighbors cannot snoop
your traffic.  Packets that you send or receive are piped strictly
between you and your ISP.  Your neighbor's packets never hit your home,
so they never directly affect your bandwidth capacity.  This is why the
DSL line is considered "dedicated".

Note that the "bottleneck" to which you refer occurs at the ISP's
internal and perimeter routers (or even higher as dictated by network
health) where many network are combined.  These routers are massive and
handle incredible amounts of traffic each day.  The likelihood of any
single user significantly affecting other same-ISP users in either the
Cable or the DSL case is negligible.  Consequently, a DSL user simply
does not affect neighbor DSL users as much as a Cable user affects their
Cable neighbors.

> and heh, just looked at FRII and they're a DSL provider...that IMO
> means they're even less flexible then a cable broadband ISP like
> Comcast because the farther away you are from their central office the
> slower your connection which is not the case with cable broadband...
While what you say is true about DSL bandwidth rates dropping
significantly as the end-user is positioned further and further away
from the nearest DSL Point-of-Presence, make no mistake.  Distance
affects the propagation rate of every line, generally manifesting as
round-trip latency for everyone as they move further from their
respective Points-of-Presence.  Cable is no exception.  While the
effective bandwidth fall-off rate is slower for Cable than for DSL, the
DSL rate is guaranteed once determined. Cable makes no such guarantee of
bandwidth because it cannot (don't let the marketers fool you).  As soon
as a Cable user starts downloading, their neighbors' download rate
suffers immediately and sometimes, significantly.  Additionally, Cable
users are faced with the question, "Do I really want my neighbors to see
what I'm downloading?"  :)  [Yes, I'm trying to inject some humor after
all that technical dialog.]

Hope this helps,

William

believed to be clean.