[clue-tech] DSL providers

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Feb 16 03:24:46 MST 2007

> I find it funny how people constantly point out that neighbors share the
> same pipe, while the same is true for any other broadband connection
> except instead of it being shared at the neighborhood area, you're
> sharing the data center connection...so no matter what there's still a
> bottleneck...

Except that the shared pipe at the "data center" level is significantly
larger so sharing becomes less of an issue.  In the cable modem setup
it's like you everyone sharing the same road (node level) to get to the
highway (isp level), whereas with DSL everyone has a private driveway to
the highway.  Eventually it's all shared at the interstate level
(backbone providers/peering points) anyway.  That being said, in trying
to fend off the threat of FIOS, the CM pipes have started to become so
large that they dwarf the DSL bandwidth regardless..

> as for more knowledgeable people, I've found Comcast support to be very
> good...there is no wait time and the techs on the phone if you request
> something technical to be done they waste no time transferring your call
> to level 2 support who always know how to take care of your technical
> support request...Comcast to me despite its large user base, due to the
> way it acts it feels to me like a small company because they actually
> throw off the presence that they care about the customer from the live
> chat, forums, and no wait time to the affordable price and great
> speeds...and really, their network has no bandwidth issues at all..in
> fact it has more bandwidth then they know what to do with as as of late
> they've been providing connections of 22mbps+ due to all the extra
> bandwidth they have...so really I don't see the issue with Comcast (AT&T
> I can understand though...I hate monopolies, their support sucks, they
> are uncaring corporate mongrels who just want your money and provide
> overall unsatisfactory service)...

And with over 11 million internet subscribers and revenues of over 22
billion you don't consider Comcast a local monopoly?  I'm hard pressed
to think of another cable modem provider covering the Denver area..

I'm not even going to touch the statement describing customer support as
"very good".  I'll just say my own experience differs.
-Ken