[clue-tech] filesystem copy

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jan 2 20:28:13 MST 2007

David L. Willson wrote:
> I want to copy an entire ext3 filesystem, which includes lots of
> hard-links, to another drive.  I use a 500GB volume to maintain daily
> copies of a 320GB volume, where every unchanged file is actually a
> hard-link to the file from the day before (single-instance storage).

I hope it is rdiff-backup doing that for you.  Do their docs say
anything about backing up to multiple locations?

> I want to replicate that volume to another 500GB volume without
> turning each hard-link into a file on the target, and without
> rewriting the entire drive every time.  Ideas?

rsync is probably easiest.  Double check that -a does the links like you
want.  But that isn't much different than what rdiff-backup does, so
running it twice, once to each drive, may be even easier (since you
already have one working).  And perhaps that applies to whatever you're
using if it isn't rdiff-backup.