[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

Peter Kuykendall PeterKuykendall at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 7 20:27:16 MST 2007

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Are there any other wireless routers worth
> considering?  Either because they also can run a custom Linux install,
> or they offer better price/performance, or they have useful features
> (magic bridging, better security protocol support, etc.)?

I have had really good luck with the Belkin routers that are sold at
Wal-Mart and Micro Center for $40.  They do Ethernet bridging.  That's
good because you can plug your Linux machine's Ethernet NIC into the
router and not have to worry about any wireless config on the Linux
side.  From the Linux box's point of view it just sees Ethernet.

Because the bridging is proprietary you will need 2 of these devices to
do it, one for the Linux machine and one connected to the network.  The
one down side is that there is some instability in the router that will
demand a power cycle every 2 weeks or so.  This seems to be aggravated
by having a lot of connections open, so it may just be running out of
RAM trying to track the state of all of those connections.  Or it could
have a memory leak, or a hundred other things.  But it's easy enough to
power cycle that I don't mind living with it.

Just my $0.02.

--

Peter Kuykendall
7659 S. Rosemary Circle

Instant Messaging:
AIM: PeterKuykendall
MSN: PeterKuykendall at hotmail.com
Yahoo: PeterKuykendall

EMAIL:
mailto: PeterKuykendall at hotmail.com

DONATE YOUR USED LAPTOP TO OVERSEAS SOLDIERS
This helps them more easily communicate with home.
We can resurrect even very old laptops!
www.helpgis.com
(720) 506-4353