[clue-tech] Modern/Current SPARC Linux Distros

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jul 9 11:42:41 MDT 2007

Tony McDowell wrote:
> I just got back from yardsaling where I got a fabulous deal ($5.00) on a
> SPARC Ultra 5.  Anyone got any opinions on which SPARC distros would be
> good to throw on it.  I know it's got the 360MHz proc with 128MB of
> memory (currently -- the memory will be upgraded later).  I've got a
> Solaris 10 install DVD around here as well, which I might try too.

That's about what they're worth.  Maybe $10.  It's a 64-bit machine with
a little better I/O than a Pentium II class PC, and similar overall speed.

On the flip side, they're virtually indestructible.

Memory will be expensive compared to the price you paid for the machine.
  Hard disks aren't super-cheap either.

Solaris 10 will not install on it.  It'll refuse when it sees it's an
Ultra-5.

I haven't researched it, but perhaps the OpenSolaris folks have removed
that check or made it more lax for their version.

I used to run Debian on mine.  It's a dog.

Nate