[clue-tech] wireless on Ubuntu

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 17:38:10 MDT 2007

Ubuntu 7.04.

If you don't use shared/restricted WEP, it's easy.  Just use NetworkManager.  If you use shared WEP, you need to edit /etc/network/interfaces by hand.  That's not so hard, just one more line in interfaces, but finding the information took some time.  I did a fair amount of googling to find out how to do it.

To be fair, it handles Atheros much better than the newest Fedora.  No support for madwifi from Fedora.  The two sites that were mentioned for the madwifi RPMs have bad RPMs because they have circular dependencies.  I didn't feel like figuring out how to make madwifi work on Fedora after compiling, so I just wiped Fedora and put Ubuntu on.

From: "Tony McDowell" <svet.am at gmail.com>