[clue-tech] wireless on Ubuntu

Tony McDowell svet.am at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 18:34:45 MDT 2007

At least you got it working in the end.  Networking (particularly Wireless
Networking) is my biggest pet peeve with Ubuntu.  Ubuntu is a bit Playskool
(but, hey, so was Win XP when it debuteD), but I like how most things "just
work" like on a Mac.  I am one of those that believe that Ubuntu is as close
as we're going to get to MacOS on generic PC hardware (short of an official
release from Cupertino).  However, networking still routinely breaks the
"suspension of disblief" and forces users into geek mode too much for my
liking.

Sadly, right now my home Linux boxen are down to just my file server (a
heavily modded MaxTerm 8300 running Trustix 2.1) and my on-again/off-again
Fedora tirade to run MythTV on my media center.  With wireless networking so
hit-or-miss under Ubuntu, I cannot justify it for my laptop and with my
590SLI mainboard suffering from the weird "Windows tampering with the NIC"
issue, I cannot easily dual-boot Windows and Linux on my desktop.

The above paragraph is, I suppose, my brief introduction of myself to the
group.  I'm "new" to the Denver area.  I'm technically still in Las Vegas,
but we move on the 18th og June.

-tony