[clue-tech] Switching to Qwest DSL soon, any suggestions?

Michael Irons michael at beckonsmeby.com
Tue Jun 12 23:11:54 MDT 2007

On Tuesday June 12 2007 1:50:24 pm Hani Duwaik wrote:
> Just to throw in my two cents.  I have Qwest DSL ... without MSN.  It's
> basically just the DSL line and a static IP.  It works great with Linux and
> Mac OSX (I don't allow Windows at home anymore ;).
> They also provided me a DSL modem (for a monthly charge).  However, for
> some odd reason, I've had problems with the modem.  Seems using the
> Actiontec modem, I can get a nice ~7Mbps connection, but after visiting a
> few websites, the connection seems to slow down (almost to a crawl ...
> probably some stupid DNS caching issues).
>
> I switched to a Zoom ADSL modem and, although I can only get a ~4Mbps
> connection, it's stable and consistent.
>
> In any case, if you ask Qwest for a simple DSL/IP service, they should
> comply (not sure who/why they insist on MSN).
>
> HTH,
>
> -Hani

Random guess, although you switched:

Check your resolv.conf and make sure it is not trying to use your actiontec as
an nameserver. I was having the same problems when I moved from comcast to
DSL. Never had time to properly look into it, but forcing your resolv.conf
not to be updated solves the problem.

Mike