[clue-tech] Switching to Qwest DSL soon, any suggestions?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Jun 14 00:38:44 MDT 2007

[snip]

> I have used and will continue to support Front Range Internet.
> (www.frii.net)  Local techs with a clue, and never seen a bottleneck
> ever on my DSL service with multiple static IP's.  If you're comparing
> their non-static-IP service to Qwest's offerings without MSN, they're
> probably $10/month more.  And well worth it.
>
> And you get to go to bed at night knowing you're supporting local techs
> with real jobs, not McJobs where someone reads you a script from their
> screen at some outsourced Qwest call center.

Add another vote for FRII (www.frii.com).  I switched from Comcast to
Qwest/FRII when I moved last year and have been very satisfied.  My
setup is Qwest Connect Platinum (naked DSL) plus FRII Home DSL Deluxe
and a couple extra bucks for a static IP.  I also prefer to run the
Actiontec modem in transparent bridge mode so that it only handles the
DSL connection setup and allows my firewall to "own" the external IP
address.

Regarding the "windows only" install.  Qwest will send you a setup
wizard that is MS specific, but if you're comfortable with setting up
the modem manually then there's no need for it.  Mine is still sitting
around somewhere in it's original packaging.

Also, after you've had a chance to use your line for a bit and confirm
you have good connection quality (no packet loss or CRC errors) then I'd
recommend putting in a request to Qwest to remove the default
interleaving on your line which will improve your latency considerably.

More info in the archives:
http://cluedenver.org/pipermail/clue-tech/2007-February/002643.html

-Ken