[clue-tech] Switching to Qwest DSL soon, any suggestions?

Jed S. Baer cluemail-jsb at freedomsight.net
Fri Jun 15 18:57:08 MDT 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
Keith Christian wrote:

> The rep at the Qwest store said that the install would not work with
> Linux or Macintosh, but only with Windows - my assumption is, that is
> for the MSN "service."

That's BS. Might be repeating some other replies, but the setup is you
plug in power, phone, and ethernet, set your ethernet card for DHCP, point
your browser at 192.168.0.1, and set it up there. You'll need your
username/password, which they'll tell you over the phone.

It's more complicated if you want to run in bridged mode.

Also, you can get, or used to, just a gateway and routing, using
Qwest.net. They used to call it internet basic. When I got mine setup,
"internet basic" wasn't listed anywhere on their website, but if you can
figure out how to describe it in a way they understand, you can do it. I
have no qwest.net e-mail account. No web hosting, nothing but the
connection. Beats me if the IP is static, but it doesn't matter for my
use. Certainly, I don't have the trouble described by Scott.

jed