[clue-tech] Stopping user shutdown.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Mar 2 18:53:43 MST 2007

Ken MacFerrin wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>> When using kdm, there's a setting that allows local users to see a
>> shutdown button so they can turn off the machine when they end their
>> session.  Anyone know how to temporarily disable that feature?
[...]
> You should be able to disable the shutdown buttons in kde changing
> permisssions on the control pipe.
>
> # chown root:root /var/run/xdmctl/*-:0

Finally got around to trying this.  chowning does it and makes the
buttons disappear (shutdown and restart, not end session).  That's kind
of nice, but the pipe comes back with each session.  Not hard to do
something that will watch and keep it disabled.

I also (based on Jed's suggestion) removed exec from /sbin/halt, which
KDM uses to shutdown/reboot.  Then any of the 3 buttons just ends the
session.

So either way works, just have to educate my users what to expect.
Thanks for the help.