[clue-tech] wrt54g v3 problem

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Sun Mar 4 14:29:25 MST 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007 12:34, Collins Richey wrote:
> 1. I have a v3 box. At least one other who responded has a v1.1 box.
> Are the alternative firmware solutions equally usable for all vxx of
> the wrt54g series? If not, what are the difrferences?

The v1.1 was a WRT54GL. It's essentially the same at the WRT54G v.4, IIRC.

The firmware is tied to the particular hardware due to flash sizes and
hardware. I think that you have to use the micro firmware to use it on the
models with VxWorks loaded by default. [1] has some good info.

> 2. I see no real security offered by the built-in firmware. Do the
> alternative solutions provide better security, or ???.

What types of security are you looking for?

> 3. What do the alternatives offer that the built-in firmware does not?

Lots of stuff. A couple examples are static DHCP leases and built-in SNMP
support.

[1]http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fdd-wrt.v23%20SP2%2F&download=hwsupport.txt

wt
--