[clue-tech] Qwest DSL + Linksys WRT54G

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Wed Mar 7 11:34:26 MST 2007

Mike Staver wrote:
> Since there has been a lot of talk about the linksys, I was wondering if
> anybody has had it working with Qwest/MSN in a way that you could have
> the actiontec dsl modem in transparent bridging mode.  I have a cisco
> 678 at home with a pix behind it, so when I friend of mine asked about
> setting up their actiontec and wrt54g, I haven't been a huge help to
> them.  What I'm not sure of is when I throw the actiontec into bridge
> mode, does it still authenticate the PPPoA information or is that
> something I'll need the WRT54G to do? If so, I don't think this will
> work since the linksys only seems to support PPPoE.

I currently have Qwest/FRII with an Actiontec GT701 in transparent
bridge mode and a WRT54G running DD-WRT behind it with a static IP.
When using transparent bridge mode you don't need to use a PPP
username/pass.  When you put the modem into "RFC 1483 Transparent
Bridging" mode it will actually grey out all the remaining WAN setup
options.  On the router side it was as simple as entering my static ip
and FRII's gateway and dns servers.  If you don't use a static IP it
should be a simple as putting it in "Automatic Config - DHCP".  I'd
imagine MSN would be pretty similar.  Just a note, if he's switching
from normal PPPoA he will have to have Qwest/MSN configure his line for
transparent bridge mode on their end.  He can't just switch between the two.

-Ken