[clue-tech] Floppy drive headache

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Mar 12 09:06:15 MDT 2007

So I was all set to upgrade my old, old, FreeBSD installation on one of my
boxes - backed up config files, important data etc.

Then I hit a speed bump - it doesn't want to boot from CDrom? Hm, this box
is from 2000, but I'm pretty sure that worked before. Shrug. So I made boot
floppies, and try to boot from those.

Oops, floppy error 02b0. The speed bump turns into a show-stopper. What does
that mean? Googling...turns out that some people can fix this by swapping
out the floppy drive and/or cable. Tried getting an older floppy drive, then
swapped in another cable, too. No dice.  Another proposed solution is to get
a controller and have that drive the floppy. Where would I get the cheapest
possible controller that does this?  I've thought about getting a
newer/bigger drive (current one is only 20g) + controller to drive it - do
they typically have a floppy controller on these cards?

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent.
-Walt Kelly