[clue-tech] wrt54g v3 problem

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 12 21:32:12 MDT 2007

On 3/9/07, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:

> If you run a custom firmware you can often turn up your signal output,
> but the better solution is to get some of the aftermarket extended range
> antenna.

And even though no one really seems to care these days... I'll throw
my pet-peeve out there...

Be aware that turning up the power output of these Part 15 unlicensed
devices *might* be illegal if you're going above the published
point-to-multipoint ERP (effective radiated power) limits imposed by
the FCC.

It can also shorten the life of the transmitter and/or burn it out
completely... and any transmitter driven beyond its design
specifications usually becomes non-linear and can throw "crud" into
other RF spectrum where you never intended it to radiate.

If you happen to "hit" a licensed user of another band with your
unlucky application of high gain antennas and an AP modified to push
higher power, you can be liable for up to $10K in fines from the
FCC... not that they've got time to hunt down such small potatoes...
but nevertheless...

Accidentally nail one "Public Safety" radio system with your AP's RF
trash, and you could have an unhappy visit from some very serious
people.

Nate