[clue-tech] wrt54g v3 again

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:57:18 MDT 2007

Thanks to all who responded in the several related threads. I've
gained a lot of valuable info for the future.

1. Right now my wrt54g is working fine in totally unsecured mode, so I
won't leave it plugged in very often.

2. My R51 laptop is quite happy to communicate (using KNetworkManager
for the automatic setup) as long as the kernel is right! *Ubuntu, like
most distros, doesn't do an adequate amount of testing before
releasing a kernel. What works just fine on kernel 2.6.20-9-generic
fails miserably on kernel 2.6.20-11-generic - doesn't even detect a
wireless device!

Here's another dumb newbie question. How does encryption work on these
units? Is this a matter of hardware in the unit or is this handled by
the various software loads you can put in the unit?

--
Collins Richey