[clue-tech] Installfest hotwash.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:17:14 MDT 2007

On 5/20/07, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Here's the rundown from yesterday.  We had about 15 people show up and
> the new location worked out pretty well.  The DeVry staff were very
> gracious hosts.  Thanks to them and to Joanne for setting us up!
>
> I didn't bring distros and the network seemed to be running less than
> 256k.  But Ubuntu showed up, and Mepis, so we were OK.
>
> There were several Ubuntu installs and again the live CD didn't work so
> well.  In once case it couldn't display the desktop on a box with 2
> video cards.  In another it couldn't display on an X30 laptop, and it
> didn't recognize a SATA drive that KNOPPIX had no trouble with.

I've never been that fond f the Live CDs. I always use the alternate
installs. Before next Installfest rolls around I'll get some alternate
CDs (gnome, kde, and xfce variants) burned. Too little time this time.

> I didn't have any luck getting wireless going.  I could associate with
> the AP just fine but then DHCP would give up on an address after 45s.
> Mike Farnsworth did get wireless working, so I'm thinking that network
> manager isn't so robust.

It's not that robust. The reports on Ubuntu Forum are about equally
mixed between "this thing rocks" and "this thing sucks, dump it
soonest". My own experience with my Ubuntu (7.04) laptop at the
...fest. Current kernel on Ubuntu wouldn't even make the laptop
wireless indicator blink. Backup kernel with WEP Passphrase would
connect but no DHCP address could be obtained. For comparison at home
with a totally unsecured wireless (don't start, it's not usually
connected to the cable), the latest kernel will connect, but not
automatically. The backup kernel connects automatically. Also, Mike's
older Ubuntu (Dapper? LTS ?) laptop could connect with no problems.
So, I'm in the "this thing sucks, removed it soonest" camp.

P.S. I'm waiting for mail from Yuko. He continued to work on the
wireless problem after he left the ...fest, and he found a way to make
his Ubuntu laptop work.

> Next time I'll try to get to the site during the week and test that out
> with the network guys there to make sure the kinks aren't on their end.
>

> DeVry really made us feel at home, beyond what they needed to do.  I
> appreciate they're help and if you know anyone looking to take classes,
> have them check out DeVry.
>
> The next installfest will be up north in July.  I'll announce dates as
> soon as I can confirm them.

I hope Jeff is tuned in. It wouldn't hurt (ie please do it) to have a
big thank you email to the people at DeVry from CLUE President.
Wireless problems or no, this was a great facility. Apparently the
hardwired ports respond to DHCP which is a big advantage.

Thanks again Dave for setting this up.

--
Collins Richey