[clue-tech] SSL IMAP

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu May 24 12:43:46 MDT 2007

>Importing your self signed CA certificate or using CAcert is also free. I
>don't see any reason not to do it the right way. You have to set it up one
>way or the other.

It matters little in this case, if at all.

(The plug-in remembers only the cert that you told it to ignore, if a
man-in-the-middle attack were tried on you -- unlikely on a home server, but
this isn't a risk-analysis discussion -- if the cert changes, the warnings
reappear.)

CA signatures are one of the greatest business scams of the Internet.  Any
"legitimate" business needs one signed by one of the big boys to ensure
"most" browsers won't complain.

CACert helps, but if you're doing business... you really need the things
signed by one of the "original" CA's.

They know it, and they charge accordingly, of course.  Almost pure profit
for them.

Nate