[clue-tech] SSL IMAP

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri May 25 09:42:23 MDT 2007

Nate Duehr wrote:
> CA signatures are one of the greatest business scams of the Internet.  Any
> "legitimate" business needs one signed by one of the big boys to ensure
> "most" browsers won't complain.
>
> CACert helps, but if you're doing business... you really need the things
> signed by one of the "original" CA's.
>
> They know it, and they charge accordingly, of course.  Almost pure profit
> for them.

I agree, which is the reason I haven't paid for one yet... You would
think with an open source email client like Thunderbird, you could get a
company that was not-for-profit to set up a website where the cert gets
signed, then you could install it and have Thunderbird recognize that
authority by default.

Wishful thinking I suppose. But I went to thawte.com today, and I saw
these two things:

http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/index.html

http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certificates/ssl123/index.html

I'm assuming the second one is the one I need. I'll probably use the
free email one as well just to be safe.