[clue-tech] SSL IMAP

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri May 25 09:53:23 MDT 2007

Mike Staver wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>> CA signatures are one of the greatest business scams of the
>> Internet.  Any
>> "legitimate" business needs one signed by one of the big boys to ensure
>> "most" browsers won't complain.
>> CACert helps, but if you're doing business... you really need the things
>> signed by one of the "original" CA's.
>>
>> They know it, and they charge accordingly, of course.  Almost pure
>> profit
>> for them.
>
> I agree, which is the reason I haven't paid for one yet... You would
> think with an open source email client like Thunderbird, you could get
> a company that was not-for-profit to set up a website where the cert
> gets signed, then you could install it and have Thunderbird recognize
> that authority by default.

Well, it does require at least a little bit of money to set something up
that's legitimate.  I mean the idea is that the third party is able to
verify that you are who you say you are.  Having an infrastructure there
to to manage the identity of users takes at least a little bit of
funding.  CACert is the best community-based version of this so far.

Angelo