[clue-tech] mp3/ogg players

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 17:43:04 MST 2007

The device may show up as a disk drive ... plug it in and watch
/var/log/messages  ) sudo tail -f /var/log/messages before and after
removal to see ... a lot of them have vfat / fat32 filesystems that
you may write to directly - probably need to reencode the files as
mp3, as few consumer devices can play oggs - there are some excellent
ones out there though.

Also amarock may recognize the device and make transfers a litlle more
intutitive

There is also a great little command line tool called lsusb, which
will list connected devices/

and  cat /proc/usb used to be helpfull, but I think the udev system
makes it 'depricated'

If /var/log/messages shows a device (probably sdxx) associated with
your usb filesystem, you can mount it as root, if automount has not
already done so...

aloha  (and I hope this helps),
dave