[clue-tech] Qwest DSL

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Nov 19 20:15:33 MST 2007

Hello all!

Hell must have frozen over, because I now have DSL service in my area.
The Qwest "Price for Life" deal seems appealing, and I'm wondering if
people can share their Qwest DSL experiences so I can make an informed
opinion.

Here are some of the more pertinent questions:

1. Will they let me (occasionally) ssh into my home server?  Any
restrictions there?

2. Should I use their modem or purchase another (suggestions on other
models --- compatibility with Linux is a *major deal*).

3. How is the performance?  I have Comcast (cable) broadband and am
generally pleased. Qwest "silver" service (what I'm considering) is
supposed to be about 5x the speed (1.5Mb/s).  Do others using their
silver service see this type of bandwidth?

TIA for all your comments.
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu B5354B76
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
                     gtalk: jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

Experience is a harsh teacher.  She gives the test before you learn the
lesson.