[clue-tech] Samba Authentication

Jed S. Baer cluemail-jsb at freedomsight.net
Wed Oct 17 20:05:31 MDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:29:07 -0600
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> I guess the accounts on the Linux box don't matter so much.  But you'd
> like Samba and all the Windows machines to use the same password for
> each user, especially for unsophisticated users who won't remember
> changing a password yesterday.
>
> So share security might work, but it'd be nice to distinguish users
> since they each have their own Windows accounts.

Do you have need to present different access rights or shares based on
user ID? Are you keeping a home directory for each user on your Samba
server? That's sorta implied by your comment that the accounts on the
Linux don't matter so much -- i.e. your Windows user do have accounts.
But are those accounts for Samba authentication only, or do your users
store data there, which is [not] accessible based on permissions?