[clue-tech] Samba Authentication

Wed Oct 17 21:15:39 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 20:05 -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:29:07 -0600
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
> > I guess the accounts on the Linux box don't matter so much.  But you'd
> > like Samba and all the Windows machines to use the same password for
> > each user, especially for unsophisticated users who won't remember
> > changing a password yesterday.
> >
> > So share security might work, but it'd be nice to distinguish users
> > since they each have their own Windows accounts.
>
> Do you have need to present different access rights or shares based on
> user ID? Are you keeping a home directory for each user on your Samba
> server? That's sorta implied by your comment that the accounts on the
> Linux don't matter so much -- i.e. your Windows user do have accounts.
> But are those accounts for Samba authentication only, or do your users
> store data there, which is [not] accessible based on permissions?

I'm not sure from your discussion, but you guys are aware that you can
use your Samba as the authenticator for your Linux, right?  Then your
Linux user account doesn't actually have a password.  It's a PAM thing
that I haven't done.   Speaking of PAM things I haven't done, both Linux
and Samba can look up to LDAP (which can live on the same box, of
course) for authentication, too...  In fact, I believe that's the
"preferred, hard as shit, but really manly" way to go.