[clue-tech] MAC NFS?

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Thu Sep 13 14:59:13 MDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:41:47AM -0700, Mark G. Harvey wrote:
> Since NFS runs at the Application Layer & TCP is at the Transport Layer, how can TCP/IP be
> skipped at all?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System_%28protocol%29

I believe it runs over both TCP an UDP.  UDP being the preferred (IMHO)
transport layer when it running across a reliable LAN.

I can't say why the wiki article doesn't mention this, particularly
since TCP support came *after* UDP support...  I believe you use the
'udp' mount option for this.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu B5354B76
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
                     gtalk: jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers.

-- Richard W. Hamming, 1962