[clue-tech] should'a seen that coming...

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 13 21:23:29 MDT 2007

David L. Willson wrote:
> I type 'sudo vipw' to change my username, the system prompts me that I
> probably want to 'sudo vipw -s' to make /etc/shadow consistent
> with /etc/passwd, so I do... or rather, I don't, because now my username
> in one is different than in the other, so I can't authenticate any more.

I'd guess that it's not a problem with passwd and shadow, but that your
new user name isn't in sudoers.

Normally you'd use root to fix something like that.  But you turned root
off, didn't you?

So then you've got the usual getting around being locked out of root,
that probably require a reboot.  Unless you have another user in sudoers.

Good luck.