[clue-tech] should'a seen that coming...

Fri Sep 14 10:05:11 MDT 2007

Actually couldn't authenticate as 'kadmin', the new username, or
'k3admin', the old username.  'kadmin' didn't have an entry
in /etc/shadow ('k3admin' did, but he had no entry in /etc/passwd),
therefore no hashed password, therefore no way to authenticate, unless
I'd setup password-less logins over ssh, or something, which I hadn't.

Not that 'kadmin' was in the 'admin' group that was in sudoers, either,
but that was a failure level I never got to reach.  Rebooting it was,
and then I ran into the group-membership problem, and then I backed the
change out because I was tired of the fun, at least on a production
system.

Maybe I'll try it on my laptop, instead...  :-)