[clue-tech] New System Configuration

Jed S. Baer cluemail-jsb at freedomsight.net
Fri Sep 21 19:53:19 MDT 2007

Been thinking about a new home system. Definitely not high-end, but it
should knock the socks off my existing box, even on a budget.

Gigabyte mobo, 1GB Ram, CoreDuo proc, and a Diamond Stealth X1550 (ATI
chipset) video card. I don't need the ultra-high end video stuff, and
with AMD openning up the ATI specs, I expect it'll work well, though I'll
have to wait a bit for optimum performance -- if it ends up mattering to
me at all.

Even with a monitor, I think I can come in under $600. I'll use my
existing very nice NEC monitor for the new system, and put a cheap 17"
flatscreen on the old system, which I'll use as a sandbox. I think I'd
just use existing hard drives I already have. Maybe the CD/DVD drive will
get me over $600 by a bit.

Brian Gibson wrote:

> I always thought this was a pretty sexy option.
>
> I point out Zalman because with their air-cooled solution in
> combination with a good case
> (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800) and proper
> airflow, I've managed to maintain thermal stability.  I can definitely
> swear by the P180; best case I've owned by far.  I love the separate
> cooling zones.  You also want a high efficiency (80%+) PSU (I recommend
> Seasonic).

Yeah, looks good, except that you have to open the front panel to use the
CD/DVD drive. I'm liking what I'm reading about the Antec Sonata line as
well, except for the same issue. I'd be interested if anyone has
recommendations for something equally as good, except with 1 exposed 5.25
bay. Be nice if it was something MicroCenter carries.

Hmmm, just realized I hadn't planned on putting a floppy in it.

Anyone got any recommendations?

jed