[clue-tech] New System Configuration

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Sep 21 20:27:45 MDT 2007

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> Even with a monitor, I think I can come in under $600. I'll use my
> existing very nice NEC monitor for the new system, and put a cheap 17"
> flatscreen on the old system, which I'll use as a sandbox. I think I'd
> just use existing hard drives I already have. Maybe the CD/DVD drive will
> get me over $600 by a bit.

If the board and drives are the same (SATA, PATA, whatever).  That's one
thing that's changed recently.

You can probably get a sufficiently good Dell for $300 if you're looking
for price.  But you don't get to choose as much then.  Still, maybe you
need the free whatever they're offering at the time.

[...]
> Hmmm, just realized I hadn't planned on putting a floppy in it.
>
> Anyone got any recommendations?

If the board will boot off USB you don't need a floppy.  If it will boot
off LAN you may not need boot off USB (not as convenient though).  And
me, I like having wake-on-LAN, FWIW.