[clue-tech] Declining Linux support.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 25 21:35:42 MDT 2007

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> But I thought that perhaps Ubuntu knows a good way to do this and would
> describe their process.  All the Ubuntu answers seem to be along the
> lines of "it works for me" or "tweak this file here" (where the file is
> an Ubuntu config file.

Sadly, when I've found the Debian documentation or knowledge level of
those on the Debian lists lacking, the Gentoo forums usually have the
information I'm looking for.

> So it occurs to me that the better distros get at supporting things out
> of the box, the fewer people figure it out for themselves, and the
> harder it is to find out how things work under the covers (without
> having to disassemble them).

Definitely.

> I've been keeping notes on things I have to figure out or hand configure
> (cause I hate having to figure them out again).  Maybe I need a blog to
> put that stuff on.

Very helpful, and if the blog's public you might find others interested
in your particular plight that have the same hardware.  I met a few
people from my pitifully bad posting about how I set things up on the
eMachine on my website, a couple of years ago.

Nate