[clue-tech] Declining Linux support.

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Sep 26 15:54:30 MDT 2007

On 09-25 19:37, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> So I'm thinking that it's time for me to figure out hibernation for my
> laptop.  Well, there are some article out there and basically two tool
> sets (uswsusp and suspend2), but not much on either integrating that
> with desktop power management or the package set for Debian.
>
> Not a big deal, I'm sure once I dive in it will be easy enough to make
> work, even if there isn't a Debian Way to do it.
>
> But I thought that perhaps Ubuntu knows a good way to do this and would
> describe their process.  All the Ubuntu answers seem to be along the
> lines of "it works for me" or "tweak this file here" (where the file is
> an Ubuntu config file.
>
> So it occurs to me that the better distros get at supporting things out
> of the box, the fewer people figure it out for themselves, and the
> harder it is to find out how things work under the covers (without
> having to disassemble them).
>
> I've been keeping notes on things I have to figure out or hand configure
> (cause I hate having to figure them out again).  Maybe I need a blog to
> put that stuff on.

I was just griping about this last night at clue-cert to Dennis and Jef -
that I had grown so frustrated with power mgmt on my laptop with Ubuntu that
I just started booting Windows XP on my laptop again. Ubuntu was overheating
and shutting down, running on the hot side when it wasn't actually
overheating, and every time I went to figure out suspend, it seemed like I
was off in the weeds somewhere.

I'm one user that's grown lazy over the years and I just want my OS to work
- and not spy on me or force me into upgrades, etc.

I only boot Ubuntu on this machine right now when I have to rip a DVD. I
hope to go back to it...I may wait for next rev and upgrade to that. Right
now it's Feisty.

I don't see the problem with knowing how things work under the hood, but by
the same token, I wish things like this worked right out of the box. To be
fair, Linux has come a looooooong, loooong way since the days when I first
installed Slackware in 1994. :) Since I'm using this box more as a user, I
couldn't care too much these days about how it gets its job done, I just
don't want to have to be driven to pay $24.95 or $34.95 for every stinking
little utility as Windows often forces you to.

The other issue I ran into - Rosetta Stone. I think under the hood, it uses
Java somewhere. But not the installer, and the installer chokes on install
under Wine. In addition, the application forces you to have CD in drive,
unless you can get certain software to make the right image and the right
software to mount that image to fake it into defeating the piracy
protection. I'm not pirating it, I just don't want my CD drive spinning when
I can have image instead. I don't know if I could get all that working from
Linux, so I have at least one app that keeps me running XP on my laptop even
if I can solve power mgmt/suspend issues in Ubuntu.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
lies within us.
-either Ralph Waldo Emerson or Oliver Wendell Holmes (not sure)