[clue-tech] thunderbird imap and gmail

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Apr 15 14:55:08 MDT 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Lately I've been having problems with thunderbird, imap, and gmail.  For
> some reason sometimes when I delete a message in thunderbird, the next
> message has the tail end of the deleted message appended to the
> beginning.  It's kind of annoying.  When looking at the same message
> through the gmail interface, I don't notice this.
>
> Anyone else have a problem like this?

I think that's a sign that your local cache might be a little damaged.

The one time things like this started happening to me, I knew everything
was up on the server anyway (since it is IMAP after all), so I found the
cache directory and blew everything away and let it rebuild it during
the next full sync/download of mail.  (On a fast wired connection, of
course!)

You may want to Google around on how to do that safely, I found a couple
of folks that had also done it and decided it was safe to give it a try.

Worst I would have to do (since all filters, rules, and folders are on
the server) would just be to dump and reconfigure the account in T-Bird,
or barring that... dumping and reloading T-Bird itself... neither of
which takes more than a few minutes.

I think what I really ended up doing was removing the account that was
having problems from T-Bird, finding the sub-directory for that account
in the cache directory (it leaves it behind when you remove the account
and doesn't ask you to dump it, making a permanent wasted spot on your
local disk), blew it away, and relaunched T-Bird, and set the account
back up.

No problems since.

Nate