[clue-tech] thunderbird imap and gmail

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Apr 16 11:19:38 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> Lately I've been having problems with thunderbird, imap, and gmail.
>> For some reason sometimes when I delete a message in thunderbird, the
>> beginning.  It's kind of annoying.  When looking at the same message
>> through the gmail interface, I don't notice this.
>>
>> Anyone else have a problem like this?
>
> I think that's a sign that your local cache might be a little damaged.
>
> The one time things like this started happening to me, I knew
> everything was up on the server anyway (since it is IMAP after all),
> so I found the cache directory and blew everything away and let it
> rebuild it during the next full sync/download of mail.  (On a fast
> wired connection, of course!)
>
> You may want to Google around on how to do that safely, I found a
> couple of folks that had also done it and decided it was safe to give
> it a try.
>
> Worst I would have to do (since all filters, rules, and folders are on
> the server) would just be to dump and reconfigure the account in
> T-Bird, or barring that... dumping and reloading T-Bird itself...
> neither of which takes more than a few minutes.
>
> I think what I really ended up doing was removing the account that was
> having problems from T-Bird, finding the sub-directory for that
> account in the cache directory (it leaves it behind when you remove
> the account and doesn't ask you to dump it, making a permanent wasted
> spot on your local disk), blew it away, and relaunched T-Bird, and set
> the account back up.
Thanks.  I deleted the folder in ImapMail/ for that account, and it
recreated it.  It did seem to help with the problem I was having, but I
did realize that this was account I was already having problems with
before:  some time ago I used IMAP to transfer mail from another server
to gmail, and it left behind a lot of "messages" that contain partial
excerpts, dated from 1969.

That is still there... not sure I can do anything about it.  It seems to
be "cutting" the messages at the wrong places.

Angelo