[clue-tech] Fall and penguins.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 08:07:52 MDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:46 AM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
>> So can we do anything to attract a broader audience?  What do you think?
>

> The normal users that had it picked for them won't come to us to learn it, because they
> don't want to learn it.  They only want to know where the "send" and "print" buttons
> are.

Quite true, and unlikely ever to change.

> The geeks, though, they will come to us to learn it, to get their particular job done,
> and some of them will come to "love freedom", as LUGradio puts it.  They'll join us to
> teach other geeks.

It depends on what you mean by "come to us". In recent years CLUE has
attracted mostly knowledgeable geeks that communicate only via email.
They share valuable insights, but none of them appear to have any need
for actual human contact, as demonstrated by the miserable turnout for
our meetings.

> There is one non-geek group of people that really likes Linux... ~kids~
>
> The trick then, I think, is to let the curious geeks know we're here, and willing to
> help.  And, to get Linux in front of more kids, and get them the basics of finding and
> installing all the free games.
>
> Or, maybe Linux is not an end in itself, and we should change our focus to "free
> software", which might be a meaningful end in itself, and which encompasses Linux but
> doesn't limit itself thereto.

Without some sort of a coordinated advertising campaign (and please
IANAAS) I doubt that we will every attract much more than a few
committed geeks. Dave Anselmi's efforts to organize and promote the
Install Fest have increased our visibility among other committed
geeks. Perhaps there should be a campaign to put a craftily designed
CLUE note card on every exposed bulletin board in the metro area
(grocery stores, et al).

--
Collins Richey