[clue-tech] Fall and penguins.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Aug 31 12:04:36 MDT 2008

Finally taking time to answer...

David L. Willson wrote:
> I don't think we can do anything to attract a significantly ~broader~ audience, because
> I think Linux is still not what the average Joe or Jane user wants.  However, I think we
> can make ourselves better known to our target audience.

I think you're right about Joe and Jane.  But I'd like to take steps
towards serving them if they ever get curious.

> The normal users that had it picked for them won't come to us to learn it, because they
> don't want to learn it.  They only want to know where the "send" and "print" buttons
> are.

Exactly.  So won't anyone come to show them where to find send and
print?  I learned a few weeks ago that kmail's address book has an odd
way to handle distribution lists.  I was able to figure it out and show
a non-technical user but he couldn't figure it out himself.

> I don't think there's any point in trying to teach the "car drivers", to call back
> your automotive analogy, Dave, because we (mostly) don't want to become application
> experts, and because they don't care, and because applications change, and because they
> are consumers, and we still need more farmers.

It is true that you and I don't want to become application experts.  But
just as there are Debian people who do translation rather than packaging
I imagine there are Linux users who know applications and don't want to
become geeks.

I've heard more than one person say "I'm not smart enough to answer
questions (at installfest or on the list)".  OK, so you can't
troubleshoot system issues.  But you know how to run amarok, which I
don't.  Come show other people.  Or perhaps you want to know how to do a
task (watch video, from home movies or something).  Come ask people to
help you figure it out.

I can't fill that role but I want to encourage those who can to come to
installfest and help.

> There is one non-geek group of people that really likes Linux, but I've no idea what to
> do with them, how to advertise to them, or what do do with them once they're "brought
> in".  But, ~kids~ really like things (games) that work.  They don't have the "lost
> interoperability" FUD that grown-ups have, and they are naturally curious.  I don't know
> any kids that don't want dual-boot systems after a short time with me.

Showing cool games is something I can't do either.  So if you can, come
show the rest of us.  Some will say that Linux isn't good for games.
Perhaps not for the ones that require liquid cooled CPUs and $1000 video
cards.  So what are the fun Linux games?