[clue-tech] going wireless

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:34:58 MST 2008

Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> I recently acquired this Sony laptop that isn't "new" enough to come with any
> sort of wireless built into it.  I've shrunk the installed XP down to 3G or
> so and have been running Slackware on the rest of it for a while now.
>
> I'm looking to get some idea of what I need to do to get wireless going with
> this machine.  There's some work that I'm looking at that seems to require
> it.  I don't even know if I want a pcmcia card or something that'd plug into
> a USB connector,  or if I have an open slot inside somewhere.
>
> A bit of reading on the subject tells me that there are issues with what
> appears to be the same adapter using different chipsets from time to time.
> Other than that,  I've not really much of a clue as to what I need to do
> here.
>
> Recommendations for both hardware and software would be appreciated.

Yes, you generally can't determine compatibility based on the brand.
They can have different chipsets.  However, the good news is, just about
everything works now.  I don't have a single wireless device that I
can't get working with ndiswrapper.

The best advice I can give is not to buy the cheapest thing if it's
really new.  If you buy a card that's already a year old, you'll have a
good chance of it working with at least ndiswrapper.

(Too bad ndiswrapper doesn't have its hardware list anymore.)

Angelo