[clue-tech] going wireless

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 11:21:38 MST 2008

I recently acquired this Sony laptop that isn't "new" enough to come with any
sort of wireless built into it.  I've shrunk the installed XP down to 3G or
so and have been running Slackware on the rest of it for a while now.

I'm looking to get some idea of what I need to do to get wireless going with
this machine.  There's some work that I'm looking at that seems to require
it.  I don't even know if I want a pcmcia card or something that'd plug into
a USB connector,  or if I have an open slot inside somewhere.

A bit of reading on the subject tells me that there are issues with what
appears to be the same adapter using different chipsets from time to time.
Other than that,  I've not really much of a clue as to what I need to do
here.

Recommendations for both hardware and software would be appreciated.

-
M Dakin