[clue-tech] going wireless

Peter Kuykendall peterkuykendall at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:38:30 MST 2008

I'm running Ubuntu on a year-old Dell laptop.  It's built-in Broadcom
wireless adapter worked after following some simple instructions from the
web.  In that case it required running a program which performs "firmware
cutting", meaning it extracts the proprietary Broadcom firmware from the
device and uses it.  It's a workaround to having to ship Broadcom's
proprietary code with the distribution.

For general use on other PCs I have an Airlink 101 cardbus 802.11b adapter.
Linux supports it natively, i.e. without NDIS wrapper and without any
proprietary code.  The catch is that I bought the thing at Fry's, which is a
chain in California but not in Colorado.  Presumably it's available via mail
order.  It's cheap too; I spent $25 on it as I recall, about a year ago.

It always comes up fine, no matter which live distro CD I'm using on every
random laptop that I've tried it on.

- Pete