[clue-tech] going wireless

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 18:33:26 MST 2008

On Monday 08 December 2008 02:38:30 pm Peter Kuykendall wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu on a year-old Dell laptop.  It's built-in Broadcom
> wireless adapter worked after following some simple instructions from the
> web.  In that case it required running a program which performs "firmware
> cutting", meaning it extracts the proprietary Broadcom firmware from the
> device and uses it.  It's a workaround to having to ship Broadcom's
> proprietary code with the distribution.

I did bump into a bunch of links that were talking about how to get ubuntu
working,  but I really wasn't looking forward to switching distros.  :-)

> For general use on other PCs I have an Airlink 101 cardbus 802.11b adapter.

Cardbus being one of those internal slots I need to look at see if I have one
of,  I guess.

> Linux supports it natively, i.e. without NDIS wrapper and without any
> proprietary code.

That part sounds good.

> The catch is that I bought the thing at Fry's, which is a chain in
> California but not in Colorado.

And not in PA,  which is where I am,  though I've heard they're in some areas
of the southeast,  like Atlanta.  A bit far to go though.  :-)

> Presumably it's available via mail order.  It's cheap too; I spent $25 on it
> as I recall, about a year ago.

Cheap is good!

> It always comes up fine, no matter which live distro CD I'm using on every
> random laptop that I've tried it on.
>
> - Pete

Cool.

What software does linux use to deal with the card in particular and with
wireless in general?