[clue-tech] SPAM trap

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sat Dec 13 10:41:41 MST 2008

I have some spam-checking in my forms, also a simple script that catches/logs IP addresses of spammers.  I can add the IP addresses to deny lists or even make
up a list to work with my forms to prevent their access to a page or possibly the site itself, but knowing that spammers can change their IP easily I would like
to use a wildcard approach. So say I have:

68.63.83.12

Is there a PHP script that I could include in my forms that will do a lookup against a master list and if found, deny the cretin?  Option B would be to manually
do a lookup of the IP address (against some online DB) and if tracked to, say Bangladash, Africa, remote China or even South Florida, then manually add to my
deny list. Most of my clients are small, do local regional business.

If I am able to track the culprit to one of these distant places would it make sense to add the IP root ( 68.63.83 ) to my db and not the complete IP address?

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!