[clue-tech] Setting up Network printer in CUPS?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Feb 6 15:10:14 MST 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 08:23, Adrian F Nagle IV wrote:
> Roy,
>
> Thank you for your rely.  The Hawking print server is to allow me to put
> the parallel port printer on the network.  I have a static IP set up for
> it.

That's what my server is doing,  pretty much.  I have this small "JetDirect"
box that I could probably use to do the same sort of thing,  but the server
is on,  there,  and has this parallel port that I'm not otherwise using,  so
I didn't see much point to it, though.  It's my understanding that you can
also get a "JetDirect" board to go right into the printer,  but I haven't
made it a point to get one of those either.

> The server will be down in the basement in a "closet".  The printer
> should stay in the den.

Longish parallel cable,  then?

> I don't know what you mean by CUPS "seeing" the printer.  I just enter
> in the data for the driver.  Is there a way to test if CUPS sees the
> printer?  I only tried to print test pages.

When I go into the browser interface in CUPS and select manage printers, I
seem to remember it acting differently when things were set up finally as
compared to how they acted before that point,  when it wasn't seeing the
printer,  but details are a little fuzzy at the moment...

> > For what it's worth,  I acquired an LJ5 fairly recently.  Plugged it into
> > my server and set it up in CUPS.  Then started fiddling around some.  I
> > can print from this laptop,  or from the workstation that's out in the
> > other room,  no problem.  The key there is that CUPS needs to be running
> > on each machine,  and that it needs to be set up so that it's pointing at
> > the printer connected to the server.  Some fairly trivial twiddling under
> > KDE,  Control Center -> peripherals -> print manager -> configure I think
> > pretty well covers most of it.

-
M Dakin