[clue-tech] Setting up Network printer in CUPS?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Feb 6 18:12:03 MST 2008

Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 08:23, Adrian F Nagle IV wrote:
>> I don't know what you mean by CUPS "seeing" the printer.  I just enter
>> in the data for the driver.  Is there a way to test if CUPS sees the
>> printer?  I only tried to print test pages.
>
> When I go into the browser interface in CUPS and select manage printers, I
> seem to remember it acting differently when things were set up finally as
> compared to how they acted before that point,  when it wasn't seeing the
> printer,  but details are a little fuzzy at the moment...

Yeah, when my USB printer is working the device list in CUPS is
different (i.e., the printer shows up by model rather that not showing up).

For IPP the difference would be on a later screen, I think, but CUPS
supposedly probes with SNMP (not something I can test) so you might see
something different.

After you select IPP when setting up the printer did you follow the
"Network Printers" link?  It has some info.

There are some pages that say the URI should end with lpt1.

If there are cases where you can't get to the web page on the HPS1P, you
might try updating the firmware if you haven't already.  If that doesn't
help maybe it's just dead and time to get a new one (you can try and
return it if it doesn't help).