[clue-tech] Using a terminal/console for the desktop

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jan 11 12:00:20 MST 2008

Yes, I got a lot of good answers and I apologize for not being very
clear.  I'm really not sure how to describe what I want, but Brian's
link is basically what I was looking for:

http://www.stampersite.com/wordpress/20070905/how-to-create-a-transparent-terminal-session-as-your-desktop-background/

A way to make the "desktop" of GNOME (or preferably XFCE) more useful
than just a place to store icons and launchers.  IMO, the X environment
and windows useful, but the actual virtual desktop itself is relatively
"useless."  I usually always have Terminal open set with the "pushpin"
sticky to appear on every desktop.  So my thought was why not just make
the desktop a terminal?

Thanks to everyone who responded, it certainly will give me enough
things to look into and play around with.

Angelo