[clue-tech] Using a terminal/console for the desktop

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 12:57:32 MST 2008

I currently have Tilda on my Xubuntu system.  It can
be obtained via apt-get/synaptic so it's very easy to
install.  It's semi-modal and will appear over all
your windows on all your desktops.

Launch via Accessories.  Right-click for the
Preferences dialog where you can adjust a whole slew
of options.  It supports multiple tabs via right-click
or Shift-CTRL-T.  Shift-CTRL-PGUP and -PGDN navigate
the tabs.  Unfortunately it does not cycle once you
reach the first or last tab, but you can directly
access a tab via Alt-<# key>.  It supports
mousewheel/trackpad scrolling, but you can always
enable a scrollbar if you want.

A new kid on the block is Guake built with GTK so it
theoretically can run on an XFCE system.  You'll have
to install from source or the .deb package since it's
not in the Xubuntu repository yet.  I've been meaning
to look at it since it claims to support the best of
both Tilda and YuKuake.

http://www.stampersite.com/wordpress/20070905/how-to-create-a-transparent-terminal-session-as-your-desktop-background/