[clue-tech] Using a terminal/console for the desktop

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Jan 12 13:38:16 MST 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Gnome/KDE/XWindows in general... bring very little value to the table
> for a properly trained person using a Unix machine.  They get more
> done from the command line.  :-)
Compared to the days when I used just a console, I can think of a couple
of things that make the GUI extremely important (enhancing my
productivity by a factor of 2 or 3):

1) Multiple terminals

2) Extended scroll buffers in the terminals

Of course I guess things like having Firefox available decreases my
productivity ;)

But #2 is an interesting one:  is there any way to get a scroll buffer
in the tty console, esp on startup?  And then how would I scroll it?

Angelo