[clue-tech] Ubuntu Installation

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 17:48:33 MST 2008

If the Edubuntu packages aren't already in the Xubuntu
main repository, they're bound to be in either the
universe or multiverse repository.

The easiest way for a newbie to enable these
repositories is to start System->Synaptic Package
Manager and select Settings->Repositories.  On the
first tab you'll see a bunch of checkboxes for each
repository.  If you click anywhere within the package
list, you can then type the package name and Synaptic
will do a live search.  Alternatively, you can click
the Search button and also search the descriptions.

Edubuntu is probably not for newbies.  It's primarily
a way to set up a Linux Terminal Server.  You have one
main box and then all the computers on your network
are thin clients that netboot from the LTS.  You
manage all your software and  users on the LTS---i.e.
one computer to install software and one computer to
backup.  It's similar to the way some standalone
MythTV frontends work (see LinuxMCE).  What we need is
an LTS-based SOHO distribution.  I think there's one
in the making but I have not seen much progress.