[clue-tech] Ubuntu Installation

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jan 14 22:40:43 MST 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:52:58 -0700
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> If Xubuntu doesn't have the package you want you can add the Edubuntu
>> packages by putting the CD in and running "apt-cdrom add" from the
>> command line.
>
> Really? The only reason I'm a bit dubious is that with Ubuntu using Live
> CD's, aren't most of the packages in the squashed filesystem image?

I don't know.  Perhaps the live CD folks have abandoned using the CD as
a source for packages so apt-cdrom isn't useful for those.  Perhaps
everything on the CD gets installed by default (I hate the way Ubuntu
has one package that depends on everything in their base system.  But it
works for them.)

In the Debian installer the user picks tasks (groups of packages) at
install time so the CD set has lots of other things and is useful as a
repository.  Hence apt-cdrom.  But the live CDs may be different.

Or, apt-cdrom mounts the CD for you.  Maybe it mounts the squashfs too.
  If not maybe I'll suggest a feature for it, especially if Debian shows
any hints of making their own live CD.