[clue-tech] Mini-itx and pico-itx

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jan 31 01:01:25 MST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 6:55 PM, Brian Gibson wrote:

> For solid state drives, there are adapters such that
> you can use compact flash cards.  Many mini-ITX builds
> go this route.  And of course any modern motherboard
> should have USB-boot capability.
>
> Another interesting distribution to look at is Devil
> Linux.  You can set a box up to run off a CD so that
> the entire file system is read-only.

Some systems can also boot from USB sticks and run from them, just fine.

Looks funny, a stick sticking out of the box, and I won't make any
claims for the longevity of a USB stick subjected to massive amounts
of read-write cycles, but flash technology has upped the number of
read-write cycles per transistor so that's not as big a worry as it
once was, when folks hacked together things like JFFS2 filesystems for
the old flash-based handheld devices and the early hacking at
handhelds.org...

> A quicker option may be to simply get an off-the-shelf
> mini-PC and replace the OS, for example the Zonbu
> Desktop Mini. (http://www.zonbu.com/)

I think that machine was in Linux Journal this month, wasn't it?  I
haven't read my copy yet... they've gotten kinda boring there... too
much RMS-style politics and bitchin, and very little "technology
journal" from them these days...

I guess it sells magazines to newbies, but it'll eventually drive me
off.  I'm still on my 100 issues for $100 deal when they had the 100th
issue "birthday" and it's HIGHLY unlikely I'll renew.

Linux Format from the UK which isn't even targeted at techies, blows
LJ out of the water for tech topics and REAL software reviews... but
the import costs make it a "once in a while I'll treat myself to a
copy" type of thing... $14 a magazine is ridiculous at the few
newsstands that carry it.  And it looks better too.  LJ still seems to
want to look like a trade rag, and not a magazine -- I don't know.

LJ just seems to have lost focus on any one particular thing, and are
just continually printing Mad Dog's rants about traveling the world
and telling people about Linux... at this point, I know he does good
things for other countries, but they can publish that crap in those
countries magazines... LJ needs to move on and publish stuff here for
folks who've been using Linux for a decade now, and leave the
evangelism to the religious nuts.

The best part of LJ these days is the summary of the Linux Kernel
lists, which no one in their right mind who's not a Kernel coder can
follow on their own these days.  LOL!

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com