[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Jul 7 21:44:43 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:52 -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Never messed with Xfce. IIRC, it's supposed to resemble the old Unix CDE,
> which I always thought was gross.

XFce is my preferred lightweight environment.  It's fairly
straightforward to build so I built it under Cygwin to run under XP
under VMWare where I was forced to do some Windows builds of Java apps.
GNOME builds have always seemed more tricky to me, though I haven't done
one in over a year.

It does look a little like CDE, but only superficially.  Motif was a
pig, so CDE was a bigger pig.  GTK+ is not that much of a pig and so
XFce is more lightweight.  I use it on memory limited laptops, etc.  I'm
thinking of switching to it for my main machines because I'm sick of
GNOME (I don't use - and won't use - KDE) reording my panel icons when I
use xrandr to enable an external monitor on my laptop.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org