[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Jul 7 20:52:58 MDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:12:45 -0700
Louis Miller wrote:

>      The one I wanted to use was Fluxbuntu, but I couldn't get accurate
> information on the website about when they were releasing new versions.
> It seemed underfunded. There was supposed to be some bugs to it. What
> version of Linux do you fly? I think you said it was Fedora Core 6 or
> something like that?

I use Kubuntu.

As far as Fluxubuntu being underfunded, it could be that it's non-funded.
I don't know much about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 100
volunteer run. That is, of course, completely normal for a
Free/Open-Source project.

As far a release schedule goes, I'll go out on a limb and guess that they
use some/all of the usual Ubuntu repositories, which means that a release
schedule isn't going to be a big issue. Assuming that it's basically
Ubuntu with Fluxbox and I suppose a collection of stuff that works well
with it, and without, by default, the Gnome or KDE desktop environments,
there's no reason I can think of why it wouldn't have the other typical
base Ubuntu packages.

>      I tried xfce, and with the newest one, I couldn't reconfigure the
> screen resolution. I think you have to do it with the command line.
> That might be a good idea for a topic for a future LUG presentation,
> about lightweight window managers, but it might be over my head.

Never messed with Xfce. IIRC, it's supposed to resemble the old Unix CDE,
which I always thought was gross.